Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Drums - Amsterdam


So last Friday (February 26th) I went to The Drums concert here in Amsterdam.


The Drums are a new band from Brooklin NY and this is their first Europe Tour. By the way, they had all  their concerts sold out, which is pretty amazing for a band which has been playing for only one year.

List of concerts from their MySpace

This Amsterdam concert was at Bitterzoet, which is a rather small place, but really perfect if you  enjoy being close to the band and paying attention to each detail - as I do. 

I had read a couple of articles about them and I was already familiarized with their songs, which is always a good thing when you go to a concert. It's like going to a museum - you enjoy it a lot more if you know at least a little bit about the artist and its work. I always try to do my homework prior to going to a concert: researching on songs, previous bands, musical influences and origins, so that I can understand a little bit more about their music, their motto and their style.

I wonder: why the hell are these pale skin nerdy-style boys from NY singing about sufing? I just couldn't figure it out.

"We only write about two feelings: one is the first day of summer when you and all of your friends are standing on the edge of a cliff watching the sun set and being overcome with all of your hopes and dreams at once. The other is when you're walking alone in the rain and realize you will be alone forever." - The Drums

Here's the videoclip for Let's Go Surfing:



Here's their Let's Go Surfin' performance at Bitterzoet:


The Smiths and Joy Division are some of their influences and you can really tell. But Jonathan Pierce's vocals actually reminded me a lot of Robert Smith's, from The Cure! Which is a big compliment, of course.

This one below was their best performance of the night - the song was Best Friend. After this, I started thinking that this band has actually two frontmen. I just couldn't take my eyes off the tambourine guy - and not just me, as you can see on this video:



Their line-up was pretty obvious, as they have only one album - which also means this is a short show, lasting around 40 minutes only.

These were the songs they played, in this order:
_________________

Tears
Beste Friend (the one with the guy going crazy on the tambourine)
Submarine
Stupid
Book of Stories
Make You Mine
Skip In Town
Jerk
Moon
Surfing
Saddest Summer
__________________

At the end of the concert I caught their line-up paper from the stage and got a little upset, because apparently they were supposed to play two more songs, one of them my favourite (Down By the Water). Everybody thought they would come back for those after the "we want more" cheering, but they just didn't. Shame on them!

Anyway, it was a great show. This is a band worth keeping track of, so here's their MySpace page, and here's their official webpage.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment